Riley Draper
AP English
7/25/2013
In
Sophie’s World, Sophie receives a letter that asks the questions “Who are you?”
and “Where does the world come from?”
Initially, Sophie didn’t really know where to begin with her response
and I found myself in the same situation.
I would have to say if I were asked by a stranger “Who are you?”, I
would start with the basics of my name and age.
I am Riley Draper, and I am sixteen years old. That would be the most basic answer. Obviously, there is much more to this question
that the inquirer wants to know.
To
go a little further, I live in a family of four. I’m a student and a football player at North
High School. To be honest, only being
sixteen years old doesn’t give me a lot of experience on things. I don’t know a lot about life, yet I think do
know a lot about certain aspects of it.
What I know is relative to my age I guess. There is no wrong or correct
way to answer this question and I think no one truly knows one hundred percent
who exactly they are. I think all my past experiences have shaped me to be who
I am today. Whether it be football or something school related, I think I have
been challenged mentally and physically multiple times throughout my life and I
think that has influenced me to be the person I am right now. What does all of
this mean? It means that even at
sixteen, I’m a confident person in some ways and that in others I am still
inexperienced and unsure of my abilities.
The
other question, “Where does the world come from?” is also something I am unsure
about. There are generally two ways that I see people answer this question. The
more scientific answer that the world was created from an explosion, or “big
bang”, and the religious answer that states that God created this world. Much
like the question “Who are you?” there is no definite answer. I personally
believe that God created this world mainly because my family raised me that
way. At the same time, I cannot fully be sure that God created this world or
where God comes from in the first place. There will most likely never be a
proven answer to this question but it is a very mysterious subject.
You
could spend countless hours trying to answer both of these questions and you
still would not be able to find an undoubtedly correct answer. I am satisfied
with what I know right now and I am just grateful to be given the opportunities
I have been.
Good thoughts here on who you are and recognizing the fact that you are young and may not understand everything, but you do understand some things. 20/20
ReplyDelete